How PopUp works
PopUp Mainframe is a z/OS virtual instance running real z/OS code for Dev and Test, identical to a physical mainframe. PopUp comes packaged as a fully featured, optimized virtual machine image. It runs on any enterprise x86 hardware you choose – on prem or in the cloud.
PopUp supports ANY z/OS software.
Note: The software license excludes performance testing and production environment use.
What’s in a PopUp?
PopUp delivers Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution with IBM’s ZD&T emulator pre-installed and preconfigured.
PopUp also comes with additional tools and helper utilities.
Key features of PopUp
On-prem ready-to-go OVA image, or Azure cloud-ready image
Automated DASD creation and management
PopUp data transfer utility for simple data movement
Plugin for Delphix, including scripts and automation
What is the Difference Between PopUp and ZD&T?
PopUp is built on IBM ZD&T.
This video explains the difference between ZD&T and PopUp, and how PopUp accelerates your adoption of virtual z/OS instances. It also covers the additional tools and utilities which comes packaged with PopUp.
Flavours of PopUp
Different types of PopUp are available, depending on your needs.
This forms the foundation of our offering. Vanilla PopUp comes with additional tools and helper utilities to accelerate your adoption of virtual z/OS in Dev and Test.
PopUp & Delphix
We partner with Delphix to provide industry leading solutions for z/OS Data Masking and Data Virtualization in Dev and Test. Our Delphix plugin capabilities provide access to game changing data and compliance agility with minimal effort for customers.
PopUp & BMC
BMC PopUp provides BMC’s DevOps tooling pre-configured and pre-integrated with PopUp. Tools include ISPW and Topaz Total Test.
With PopUp You Can …
Run Fully Provisioned Virtual z/OS Environments Anywhere
- Run real z/OS code and software directly on PopUp, integrate PopUp seamlessly with your IT estate
- Modernise your organisation strategy with z/OS in the cloud and minimal maintenance overheads
- z/OS test environments run on x86 commodity hardware, saving hardware and storage costs
Provision z/OS Environments with APIs and Enable Self-Service
- Use automation pipelines to provision and scale z/OS “Gold Copy” environments instantly in Dev and Test
- z/OS environments created on-demand accelerate projects dependent on z/OS
- Modernise your organisation strategy with agile mainframe projects
Manage Compliance with Data Masking
- Protect data privacy with state-of-the-art data masking in Dev and Test.
- Fully data-compliant z/OS environments to satisfy regulatory requirements.
Create Dedicated z/OS Environments
- Create isolated environments for development, use with desktop IDE, testing, R&D, training & more!
Reduce Energy Usage and Environmental Impact
- Turn off z/OS test environments when not needed, reducing energy usage and total cost of ownership
- Create slim z/OS environment ‘slices’ to suit your needs with a lower energy and resource footprint
Which software runs on PopUp?
PopUp supports z/OS 2.4, TSO/ISPF, DB2, CICS, IMS, MQ and ANY 3rd Party Software.
It is a fully provisioned z/OS and runs real z/OS code.
How quickly can you setup a PopUp?
Can I connect PopUp to a physical mainframe?
What can I do on PopUp?
Anything that you might already do on a z/OS – testing and development, R&D, third party software evaluation, training for testers and developers.
What can I NOT do on PopUp?
Volume testing or live production work is not allowed, as the zD&T license forbids it. Performance testing is not allowed, and the disk is different between a physical z/OS and the PopUp so would give different results.
Certain kinds of encryption are not available in PopUp.
What is the difference between PopUp and ZD&T?
How many PopUps can I have?
How do I maintain my PopUp?
Do I need to have z/OS or green screen skills in order to use a PopUp?
No! In fact PopUp enables developers with absolutely no z/OS experience to connect with, configure and develop z/OS systems with zero risk to the physical z/OS. See this blog for more information.